1) Arrange from left to right, the utensils you’ll be using first. First the salad fork, then the main course fork. The knife is first on the right, then the smaller dessert spoon (or fork).
2) The wine glass and the water glass go on the right, above the knife and spoon.
2) Keep flowers low so that the guests can see across the table, the same goes for candles.
3) You can put a place card on the plate or directly above it.
4) Lighting should be soft, so turn off any harsh overhead lighting and instead use smaller lamps around the room.
I still have a lot to learn from my Italian ladies (like my arch nemesis of cleaning: how to make a bed) but I think this is a good start. Doesn't it make you want to have a dinner party?
P.S. If you haven't invested in cloth napkins yet, do it! This shop has awesome, inexpensive ($7) eco-friendly ones!